sabato 20 febbraio 2010

In memory of Gregorio

This post is dedicated to the memory of a great soul, Gregorio's one, and to the meanness of a human being, me.

Yesterday I had a very nice dinner with my italian-spanish-french friends: we went to an indian restaurant, whose look was very suggestive and whose food was great (heavy, but great).
In my infinite ingenuousness, while we were organizing the night - ok, actually all the organization was devolved upon the nicest french in the world, Morgan-Morganizator-Moranisor - my only doubt was about the spices present in the food, because I really don't like some of them and I want to avoid with all my energies that some of that seeds of cilantro, cumino etc enters in my mouth.
What a stupid woman I am (to say simultaneously "stupid" and "woman" is redundant, I know)!
I was so occupied in worrying about spices, that neither for one moment I consider the possibility that, instead of strange, exotic seeds, I was eating...an insect! A black insect, with a lot of legs and with a terrible look.
At the very beginning, while having my icecream, I tasted something very bitter, and I started complaining about having eaten something like a piece of plastic or something like that.
After some other spoon of icecream, I noticed a black object in the cup, so I recovered it and removed all the residual icecream on it. And at that very point, I understood how ingenuous I was in spending my time after spice-related problems, while I should have rather concentrated on the presence of animals inside my food.

After that incredible discovery, I showed it to my friends whit a disgusted look, but some of them - probably one more sensible than me to all the wonderful forms that the life can assume on this earth - explained me that that being I was looking at with such a bad face was Gregorio, that it had a life and that probably I ate, some minutes before, one of its best friends. No! It was even worse: probably I ate its girlfriend/wife, with which it was doing their honeymoon in Paris! Probably in the very same moment that the spoon captured one of them to take it to my mouth, they were planning their life together: having some kids, buying a home and, why not?, renting a camper to travel all around the world. The situation was collapsing. It was a real drama.
I felt guilty, insensible and really wretch: in front of such a tragedy I was only able to say: che schifo*!



* in italian: it is disgusting!

3 commenti:

  1. Ma no, è proprio così che fanno il gelato in india!
    Mamma mia non ci posso pensare...brrrr....

    RispondiElimina
  2. senza contare i succulenti vermoni (witchety grub) mangiati in Australia... buon appetito! ;p

    RispondiElimina
  3. Appello alla rete, l'acqua è un diritto fondamentale di tutti non una merce.
    Sabato 20 Marzo in piazza della Repubblica a Roma ci sarà una grande manifestazione contro la privatizzazione dell’acqua.

    Scenari inquietanti, visti fino ad adesso solo nella finzione scenica di alcuni film di fantascienza, cominciano a materializzarsi come reali prospettive per il nostro futuro e (soprattutto) quello dei nostri figli. L’acqua non deve cadere nelle mani delle multinazionali.
    Ti chiedo pertanto di diffondere questa notizia più che puoi, sul tuo blog, a parenti, conoscenti ed amici.

    Un sentito ringraziamento a Capricci per la gentile ospitalità e la fattiva collaborazione,
    buona vita
    Mimmo Guarino

    RispondiElimina